Monday 1 July 2013

Who is this King of Glory?

President Obama came to visit our little corner of the world yesterday.

I vaguely remember reading or hearing something last week about him coming by, but it wasn't until the helicopters flew over our heads that I realised he really was in town! Even cooler, in our neighbourhood!

But I never saw him. I know people who did. Who waited all afternoon for him to drive by. And they got a wave! All I experienced was slow-moving traffic and a very present police force on my drive to church. As in, at least two or three police vehicles and officers at every single junction on the way. Kind of spooky! But also exciting, to see how the whole area was at a standstill for a while. You could feel the hype and anticipation in the air and it caught me up, despite myself!

And then I was in church, singing out 'Hallalujah', when it struck me. The contrast between the visit of one of the present earthly 'kings' and the visit of Jesus, the true King. I stood looking around our smaller-than-usual  (I hope due to being out on mission or holidays rather than out waiting for Mr Obama) congregation and, compared to the eagerness and expectation of where I'd just left, it didn't match up.

As soon as I started comparing, more and more things started standing out to me. Like... all the security and planning going into making sure the US President's route was clear and safe versus Jesus entering Jerusalem on a donkey. Or even entering this world in a stable. And what about the big limo keeping the President at a distance, while Jesus was right there in the crowds and at the temple, involved with his people. And who knows what or how long the President's power will last, while Jesus has been given all authority on heaven and earth. I could go on...

I'm not saying anything against Obama, or his plans or visit. Or anyone's reactions to it.

But, it would be cool if there was as much excitement for us in our church services, wouldn't it? After all, we actually get to meet with the true King of all eternity! And he doesn't just drive by with a wave. He wants to be intimately involved in our lives. He wants to stop and hear from us about our day. He wants to share in our happiness and little achievements. He wants to carry us through our struggles and temptations. He wants to be in us and with us all the time! HA.LE.LU.JAH!!

Here's to a revival coming from re-realising the AWEsome truth of the King of Glory that we worship; the Son of God AND Son of Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment