Wednesday 17 July 2013

Mandela Day (Part 1)

It's Mandela Day tomorrow! AKA Nelson Mandela's 95th Birthday!

And the question everyone's asking is, 'What are you going to do for your 67 minutes?'

For anyone who doesn't know, it's become a tradition that to celebrate Madiba's birthday everyone in the nation is called to give 67 minutes of their time and energy into helping others, i.e. through a project in their community. Don't ask me when or how this tradition came about, or even why it's 67 minutes though!

So, we at LifeXchange asked our guys the question - specifically, what have they noticed as a need in Ocean View that we can do something about? And their answer was... nothing. NOTHING.

Okay, to be fair, after pushing them a bit more to think they did come up with a few unrealistic suggestions (like a soup kitchen to feed everyone!), but clearly their hearts weren't into any of them really.

Now, the fabulous IIE LifeXchange training courses I've just done, tell me that the guys are blinded to the situation in their own neighbourhood. They've got used to seeing the rubbish lying around and young children playing in it, the wasted, passed-out men or boys against gang-graffitied walls, the dying or empty flowerbeds that show previous attempts to pretty up a corner yard, and even the sounds and sights of gunshots and murders on the weekend. Apparently, it only takes three days to get used to anything. You may not accept it, but without even realising it, you no longer notice it.

And, our LifeXchange team working the guys, tells me that it's an image issue. They have a certain reputation they have to keep up as youth in their community. And, while, hopefully, for our guys it's no longer about being in the Bad Boys or Rudeboys  or any of the other gangs, it's still 'not cool' to be seen picking up litter or gardening or things like that.

But, looking into my own heart tells me it's a mindset issue. Example: A while ago I made the decision to give lifts to people (or just women, really) who are needing to hitch a ride in my direction. As a generosity thing. I have a car all to myself - they don't - why don't I help them out? I say this, but in reality I do this very seldom, despite the fact that everyday I pass at least a handful of people along my route to work. So, what's the disconnect? Most times, I'm already passed them before I even think about possibly stopping. I have a lot on my mind as I'm driving, clearly. Kind of like life! So, I have learned that I have to tell myself every time (or those times I'm not already late for something!) I get in the car to look out for people who might need a lift along the way. And so...the same applies to life, I believe. We can say what we like to ourselves, but there's some point when we have to be actively looking or intentional about what reaching out to people to actually make what we say happen.

Whether it's one or all three of these reasons getting in the way, it's still disappointing that the guys came up with nothing to do for tomorrow. Still, we're working on growing generosity in their lives. And in my own life. And it doesn't have to only happen tomorrow! There are loads more opportunities on a daily basis that we can jump into. If we're really looking...

No comments:

Post a Comment